Scalp psoriasis is a common skin disorder that makes raised, reddish, often scaly patches. It can pop up as a single patch or several, and can even affect the entire scalp. It can also spread to the forehead, the back of neck or behind ears. It causes severe itching and discomfort.
WHAT HAPPENS IN SCALP PSORIASIS?
- Occurs when the immune system sends faulty signals and scalp cells grow too quickly.
- Causes a silvery sheen and dry scales .
- Can be very mild, with slight, fine scaling.
- Can also be very severe with thick, crusted plaques covering the entire scalp.
WHOM DOES IT AFFECT?
- 50% of people who have psoriasis have it on their scalp too.
- Normally develops between the ages of 15-20 years or later between 50-60 years.
- Around 75% of patients are affected before the age of 40.
SOLUTION FOR SCALP PSORIASIS
Special medicated oils containing Wrightia tinctoria ( proven to be effective in the treatment of psoriasis) as a herbal ingredient can be applied on the scalp and can then be given sun exposure for five to ten minutes to get faster relief from psoriatic symptoms like excessive scaling of scalp cells.
Medicated herbal shampoos prescribed for scalp psoriasis can then be used to exfoliate the dead scalp scales and remove the sebum. They also give the additional benefit of making the hair soft, smooth and lustrous.